Since 2014 when I opened my first Instagram account (stevengelbrecht) ), I have come to the realization that the one predictor of a successful anything is reinvention. I uploaded and wiped content from my account over a dozen times until I found the formula which worked for me. Along the way I picked up a few tips and rules, here they are:
- Stop using the same filter on all your pics (if you don’t have a nice editing application read my post on tools which make your life easier) nothing makes your blog more dull than using the same filter on all your photos.
- Don’t be afraid to post a blank photo here and there to create space and a sense of professionalism to your page. If you don’t understand what I mean check out these Instagram pages for examples: jade smith, Steve Engelbrecht or lee jacobs
- Stop with all the hostages! #follow4follow #followforfollow #f4f #likeforlike -none of these are okay if people like your content they will press the button and once you stop begging for attention it will naturally find its way to you. the golden rule to follow is #no more than 3 hashtags and keep it classy
- Try using the Instagram story as much as you can (it’s like snap chat just for Instagram) If you use it creatively it becomes a fun thing to watch and makes your account more accessible.
- If you are looking for more exposure professional pages in your photos and if your image aligns with theirs might feature you on their accounts.
- If you don’t know what to post about you can follow a daily post routine called (photo a day) this gives your a theme each day of the month and then you interpret it as you like. (this is perfect for someone starting insta)
- If you start to use Instagram on a more serious note you should get apps which support your work. I talk about crowd fire in other posts but it’s basically an app which helps you run your account/s. some of its basic functions are: listing people who you follow but who don’t follow you back and visa versa, indicates which users frequently like your posts, you can follow and unfollow people easier and you can skedule when your posts should be released.
If you follow these basic concepts you will most probably not screw up your insta! Just remember to have fun, be crazy and let your account reflect who you are.